Sign Language Review

Title: Sign Language
Author: Amy Ackley
Publisher: Penguin/Viking
Source: Borrowed from my Library

Goodreads Summary:
Twelve-year-old Abby North's first hint that something is really wrong with her dad is how long it's taking him to recover from what she thought was routine surgery. Soon, the thing she calls "It" has a real name: cancer. Before, her biggest concerns were her annoying brother, the crush unaware of her existence, and her changing feelings for her best friend, Spence, the boy across the street. Now, her mother cries in the shower, her father is exhausted, and nothing is normal anymore. Amy Ackley's impressive debut is wrenching, heartbreaking, and utterly true.



My Take:
***There are chances that there are spoilers in my thoughts here. Nothing too major though...if you've read the synopsis!***





As I type this, I still have about 70 pages left to read. I will finish and add more to this thought in a few minutes. However, I need to spill some words and more tears before continuing.

Amy Ackley has written a novel that has had me crying since chapter 2. I am an emotional person, but make it a book about a dad dying and I can't take it. Cancer stinks. Truly stinks! Cancer is not what took my dad from my life, but he is still gone. It's been just over 5 years. Some days, it seems as if it was yesterday, some days it feels as if it's been 20 years. Reading this book...ahh, this book...it has felt as if it's been with each page I've read.

Abby, our main character was 12 when the book started. Her dad passed away a month before her 14th birthday.  My dad passed 3 days after my birthday. Granted, I'm older, but it still stinks! I'm with Abby on the "just forget it" part.

OK. I've stopped crying for the moment, so I'm going to try to finish. I do want to discuss Spence!


Alrighty, finished. Finally. Such an emotional book. I can't really call it a roller coaster, because most of it was just sad for me. There were a few happy parts, but I guess I'm so wrapped up in the loss and Abby's feelings to appreciate them. 


Abby's mom was a strong lady. I'm glad that Abby finally realized that. The tissues that she finally noticed at the end... *more sobbing*


Josh, way to be a great brother! Those teenage years are just bad for siblings anyway, but he was strong and actually helpful and thoughtful to Abby after their dad passed. I appreciate the growth and bond that seemed to happen. (I love my brothers and our bond grew so much after our dad's death, too.) Even Deanna seemed to grow on me and get more of a bond with Abby due to the death. However, she needs some relationship help!


Spence. Oh, Spence. Abby never had to wonder about his feelings for her. He was honest and always told her. I loved how their relationship as friends was always so important. And, I can't forget the way the whole North family treated him as if he was one of their own. I hope this is a real person in Amy's life. He is wonderful.


I also read Amy Ackley's Bio -- I get it now! 



My Rating:

This book and review satisfy a portion of my participation in the Completely Contemp Challenge (#CCC) hosted by Shanyn at Chick Loves Lit.


1 comment:

  1. I've been putting off reading some angsty contemps that have been sitting on my bookshelves for a while. This book is one of them. Someday soon, I'll hike up my skirt and dip my legs in.

    Thanks for sharing. This book sure sounds like it was a much more meaningful read to you. (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete